Monday, November 22, 2004

Condor gross, if you ask me


photo from sandiegozoo.org

There’s an article in the paper today about the sex life of a bird. The bird, a California Condor called AC9 is described as “hanging out in Ventura County, mating with chicks a quarter of his age.” I'm sorry, but that's just wierd.

I decided to do did some research on the Condor. I’ve been hearing about how they were almost extinct for years now. Saving the Condor is a big deal around here. I’m not sure why. I think they’re gross. They’re vultures that feed on large animal caresses and part of the reason they began to disappear is because their food source has basically disappeared. Of course, humans didn't help. The population really took a dive when people started shooting them for fun.

Condors have been around since prehistoric times and used to feed on the bodies of dead mammals and stuff. They are North America’s largest terrestrial bird, weighing up to 22 pounds with a wingspan of nine and a half feet – which does sound impressive. I wouldn't want to run into one of these birds in a dark alley.

Now I can’t help but wonder if it isn’t kinda weird that Bakersfield’s hockey team is called the Condors. Have you ever heard of a sports team named after a vulture?