Monday, February 14, 2005

THE Old Time Movie Theatre

There’s an article in the Local section today about a man and his wife who bought and restored the Granada Theater on Kentucky Street. I remember the first time I saw the old theater – I think I was about 20 years old. I just didn’t get over into that part of town very often. It always makes me sad to see the old theaters rotting and vandalized. Luckily enough people were interested in The Fox Theater to do something about it. The Nile and The Tejon were not so lucky. After reading the article today, it appears The Granada is the luckiest theater of all.

The Granada, the oldest remaining theater in Kern County, first opened in 1929. Set just off Baker Street, it was in middle of all the action. As development spread west and modern theaters were built, the Granada was left to transients. Jim Spohn and his wife Lucy purchased the decrepit theater ten years ago and began a “labor of love” to restore it. From the looks of it, they did an amazing job. I think it’s extraordinary that they spent all that time and did all that work just because they wanted to save the old building. Spohn himself plays the pipe organ along with the silent films he shows. Sounds like an awesome experience.

The next show is scheduled for May 1st.