Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Chuck's Comments

I was talking to Chuck earlier and he was asking about my blog. He’s only read it a few times and he knows I talk about him sometimes. He has decided he’s not going to read my blog because he likes not knowing. (Yeah, he’s pretty strange)

So out of the blue he tells me that I need to blog about all of the “fatties all over the place.” He then went on to rant about how there are more fat women in this town than any place he has ever seen and how you can’t walk down the street without seeing at least 10 of them. At one point he told me sometimes he wants to grab one of them and ask “At what point did you lose track of what is going on with your body?” From there he went on to tell me that he doesn’t “ever want to see a pair of low-rise jeans again. It’s just not worth it. Half shirts and low-rise jeans are a privilege, not a right.”

There does seem to be some strange phenomenon going on in Bakersfield. We have a formidable number of young women wearing shirts that are too small with jeans that are too low. There is only a finite number of girls out that there for whom this look is flattering. Most of the girls I see have a healthy layer of fat bulging out. Even my son has commented on how so many girls walk around sporting this look. It is baffling.

I mean, I’m all for a healthy self-esteem and I’m not saying that women need to be thin to be attractive. But really… somebody needs to tell these girls, “No, that look is SO not okay.”