Friday, April 15, 2005

Happy Trails IS Here!

There was an article in the Business section of the paper about a month ago about a new store in town called Happy Trails. I saved the paper to post about it because I thought the shop looked pretty cool, but then I never got around to it. (If you only knew how much you don’t know. I would have to quit my job and give up my child in order to post about everything that is postable.) Then today DD told me she is a friend of a friend of the owner of Happy Trails and that I should blog about it. So here I am. I take direction very well.

Gretchen McMann-Chapman grew up in Bakersfield but moved to San Francisco and opened a successful business there. After having kids she (like many, many before her) was sucked back into the Black Hole, oops – I mean, decided to move back to Bakersfield. Bakersfield is a great place to raise kids which explains why there are so many of the little boogers running around. It’s madness, really.

Anyway, back to my point, the store is a retro-themed novelty shop and has all kinds of wacky, cool, interesting stuff you can’t find in Bako. People have tried in the past to smuggle the stuff in from LA but they were stopped at the County line and made to turn around. So this store is REALLY special. I can’t wait to check it out.

Unfortunately it’s located out in the Northwest Promenade, which means I have to drive down Rosedale Hwy to get there and I would rather eat glass.