Tuesday, April 19, 2005

War? What War?

KGET ran a story yesterday about a woman who is outraged that someone stole her patriotic paraphernalia from the front yard. Donna Smith is quoted as saying, “Having two sons in the United States military, which is the Army, I want everyone to know that I proudly stand by them and what they're doing,” Wait – what? You mean the Navy isn’t part of the United States military? What about the Marines? I imagine they would be surprised to learn that.

Smith’s son Spec. Jesse Burnham said he believes a group of teenagers stole the stuff and that he thinks they were politically motivated. “That's what I figured, they were protesters, anti-war, so they just wanted to take down what was being flagged,” he said.

I don’t know if Mr. Burnham just skipped adolescence and went straight into the military or what but the teenagers I know don’t give a rat’s ass about politics. Hell, they probably don’t even know a war is going on. Some punk kid just probably thought it’d be funny.

After seeing the story on TV last night I’m starting to agree.