Monday, May 23, 2005

May The Force Be With You

My son called me yesterday after he had just seen the new Star Wars movie. He was so excited he was literally beside himself. Paul told me I need to go see the moive immediately and I explained I’m trying to save money right now and that I’d rather just wait until the fervor had died down. He sounded disappointed, but as always, understanding. A little while later my phone rang again and it was Paul. “I’m going to take you to see the new Star Wars movie” he said, “So come and get me, cuz I’m paying!” I was in the middle of laundry and a million other projects but I was so overwhelmed by his excitement and desire to share it with me, I just couldn’t say no.

On the way to see the movie he tried hard not to talk too much about what happens. He did tell me however, that in the end, he felt like crying. “Not because it was a sad ending” he explained. “Although it kind of was - but because I knew that this is the end. There will be no more.”

Everyday Paul gets older and moves further and further away from me, I feel exactly the same way.