Monday, June 13, 2005

Glad she's not my Mom

This didn’t happen in Bakersfield, but it was in the local section of the paper today so I’m blogging about it. According to the article, a woman in San Francisco had a couple of Pit Bull dogs. One of them was in heat and the other had become aggressive as a result. One day when she just HAD to “run errands” she decided it would be a good idea to LOCK HER 12 YEAR OLD SON IN THE BASEMENT. Yes, folks the son was locked up, NOT the dog.

Before leaving she wedged a shovel indoor and the boy to “Stay down there until I get back.” The boy, being 12 years old and all, didn’t listen. He figured out a way out of the basement and went upstairs where, the woman speculates, he walked in on the dogs mating. Embarrassed and angry about the interruption the dog attacked and killed the boy. This seems like a very natural reaction to me. What would you do if some kid walked in on you getting busy? (Wait – don’t answer that.) The mother defended herself by saying, “It was a freak accident. It was just the heat of the moment. (No pun intended of course.)

The extent of the woman’s grief over the loss of her son is truly underwhelming. She commented to the press that it was “Nicky’s time to go. When you’re born you’re destined to go and this was his time” and added that “I’m not mad at my dogs. I just love them to death.”

Pun intended.