Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Pushing the Boundaries

I heard a rumor recently I thought was remarkable. The rumor is that Bakersfield High School is the Kern High School District’s “flagship” school. They get the best of every thing and they get it first. It is the only school in Bakersfield that is not over crowded AND, more importantly, the boundaries for BHS are specifically drawn to ensure that they have the right amount of smart kids and athletic kids. (Mind you, I’m not complaining, my son goes to BHS.)

I bring all this up only because there’s an article in the paper today talking about how the KHSD has purchased land to build two more schools and that almost all the schools will be affected by the boundary changes. According the article, “the district is facing the most comprehensive set of boundary changes since 1978.”

It will be interesting to see how these changes affect BHS.