Sunday, July 10, 2005

Sunday, Sunday, So Good To Me

I woke up a bit grumpy today. I have a neighbor who has an INSANE siren on the top of his house. Periodically it goes off, typically in the middle of the day, and continues screaming for no less than 30 minutes. I can only assume that is because the owners are not around to turn it off. Last night the siren (it is a siren, not an alarm) went off around 1:30 A.M. Luckily, it didn’t stay on for long. Nonetheless, I was awake and waking me in the middle of the night is a very bad thing. I have a tendency to stay awake, no matter how sleepy I am. This morning, however, I dozed off again around 2:30 and was awoken at 3:30 by another alarm. That was it for me – I was up for the night.

Despite my sluggishness, I took my son to church this morning, then to my parents for lunch. By that time I was starting to feel like it would soon become unsafe for me to operate heavy machinery, so I went home fully expecting to crash out. I ended up rolling around for about thirty minutes, then getting up to go for a walk.

The weather truly has been exceptional for Bakersfield this summer. Today is beautiful. The air quality is good, it’s only 93°, and there is a lovely breeze. I went for a long walk around the downtown neighborhoods. I enjoy looking at all the Bungalow and Craftsman style homes, and there are plenty of them. It always makes me sad when I see the houses that are neglected, or run down, or just plain dilapidated. But lately, many more of them have been refurbished.

As I walked I enjoyed the warm feeling of the sun on my shoulders. I like how, as you walk along a sunny sidewalk, just as you begin to feel really hot, you enter a shady, cool patch and the leaves rustle, and a breeze dries your skin.

Needless to say, I am not so grumpy now.