Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Back to LaLaLand

I’m taking my son back to UCLA today to talk to the Ophthalmologist about having a cornea transplant. Paul has decided he doesn’t want the surgery now and would prefer to remain half blind until he’s in his twenties when he thinks he will have considerably less going on in his life and therefore more willing to undergo the transplant. Needless to say, I don’t really agree. Nevertheless, all I really want is what is best for Paul and I will rely upon the doctor’s advice to decide what that is.

Personally I think he’s freaked out and scared (as am I) and doesn’t want to deal with it so he’s behaving a like a typical teenager and pretending it’s no big deal. It wouldn’t be a big deal if we knew he was only going to go blind in one eye, but the fact that we know it will eventually happen in both eyes kind of makes it a BIG deal. I want to fix this eye before the other one starts to go bad. It doesn’t make sense to me to wait until he can’t see out of either eye.

Of course I would prefer that he didn’t have to have the surgery at all. I still can’t believe my son has Keratoconus. How could he have a genetic disease I have NEVER heard of? It doesn’t make sense. Paul has always been very healthy. When he was little he would get high fevers sometimes that would last for days. That really freaked me out. But other than that he was fine. He ate apples like they were going out of style; all the way down to the very core. I used to find thin strips of nothing more than a stem and some seeds all over the house. I’m pretty sure all those apples were part of the reason he was so healthy.

Looking back I can’t help but wish I gave him carrots instead.