Sunday, August 07, 2005

God Bless

I didn’t make it to Pete’s funeral OR the funeral for Army Pfc. Ramon Villatoro, Jr yesterday because I am a horrible, horrible person. (Translated that means, I REALLY HATE going to funerals and will do ANYTHING to avoid them.) Luckily there are others out there with bigger hearts than mine. Joanne and Kristen left a comment on my post about Pete yesterday saying that he had a lovely service. I am glad.

The funeral for Ramon Villatoro Jr. was also completed with out incident. The hate group that had promised to show up and protest the event never showed up. Maybe they found some innocent people closer to home to terrorize. The community did, however, show up; in support of the family and of the life that was given for our country. According to an article in the paper, hundreds of people gathered outside the church and along the route to the cemetery more people lined the highway carrying signs and flags. Bakersfield at its best.

My heart goes out to both families and I wish them all the best.