Monday, August 22, 2005

Mind Blowing

Right now, as I sit here and type this, I am listening to the gardener outside blowing the dirt and leaves from one location to another. About thirty minutes ago I was at Trader Joe’s and I noticed three men with leaf blowers walking around the parking lot blowing dirt and leaves around. I couldn’t help but wonder where they were going with all that debris. Then, after shopping, as I sat at the red light waiting to turn left onto Coffee Road, I watched as all three of the men, together, as if it had been choreographed, blew all the crap into the street. Then they turned and walked back to the truck, congratulating each other on a job well done.

I don’t get it. Leaf blowers don’t remove debris, they simply relocate the debris. But doesn’t that mean all they’re really doing is placing their crap on someone else’s property? Or in this case, on public property. And if all their doing is blowing the stuff into the street and under the bushes, doesn’t that mean it is still around and available to be blown back onto the property once another good breeze comes along? What’s the point? Instant gratification?

Ah, yes – see how nice my yard looks right now – free from dirt and leaves and debris! Tomorrow on the other hand, that is a different story.