Friday, August 12, 2005

One Year Old

Today is the one year annvirthday of my blog. I say that because it’s not quite an anniversary, and not quite a birthday. I’m not sure what it is, but it definitely is the day I started something that changed my life.

I had no idea what I was doing when I started Bake Town; if you go back through the archives that fact will become painfully aware. I think I just wanted my friend Amy in NY to stop nagging me to start a blog about Bakersfield. I know more now than I did then, but that’s largely due to my attendance at the Blogher convention. (Which, by the way, I have now officially added to my long list of posts I never finished.)

So… how has blogging changed my life? Number one would have to be my mother now knows every thing that I do and say (including words like ass and damn.) Number two would have to be that people refer to me as Bake Town when they see me, or don’t know who I am UNLESS I am referred to as Bake Town. (Weird.) Number three is all the wonderful new people and friends I have made because of this silly little blog. So many people have written to me with kind words – people I don’t know and will probably never meet – it is really heart warming. Then there are all the amazing people I met at Blogher. They are truly inspiring. And last but not least, the number four way blogging has changed my life is I got a job from it. Instead of being Dooced, I was offered a job. I don’t talk about what I do, and I’m not going to start now, but I will tell you I kept my job and accepted a part time position at the new place, so now I have two jobs (which is why I now find it so hard to post all day everyday.)

So, thanks to all loyal readers and to all the people who comment and email. If it weren’t for you I would have given up long ago. Happy Annvirtday!!