Monday, January 23, 2006

Proving that I'm a big Geek!

As a devoted reader of Dooce, the Queen Mother of all bloggers, I was surprised recently when I read that her husband, Jon, had a cornea transplant. I read everything I could find on her blog and his to find out why he had the transplant. Finally I decided to email him and ask. I didn’t really expect a response (I image those two are swamped with emails on a regular basis) but I decided to ask anyway.

Saturday morning I woke up and found an email from one Jon Armstrong. How cool is that!? I got all excited! Turns out Jon has Keratoconus, just like Paul. It’s amazing to me how many people have this disease. I had never heard of it before. Jon had his surgery eight years ago, but he still has to wear a hard contact lens (poor guy.) From the sound of it, there have been great improvements in cornea transplant surgery. Last week we took Paul back to UCLA for a check up and his vision is already 20/40. In few months it should be perfect.

Thank God for Dr. Casey.