Thursday, March 02, 2006

Moving on Up

So The Californian launched it’s newly remodeled website AND redesigned newspaper yesterday and they are, to say the least, colorful. Big pictures frame the paper highlighting featured articles. It looks good. Maybe a little TOO colorful for my taste, but still good. It’s a little reminiscent of USA Today, which I don’t consider a real newspaper. (It reminds me of those tissue paper “weekly readers” we used to get back in grade school.) Anyway, it’s great to see The Californian making strides to remain competitive in the ever changing world of media. I was impressed when I learned recently that The Californian is one of the few remaining independent newspapers around. Most have been scooped up by some big company I can’t remember the name of. (Little help here!)

A couple of things I do like about the new format is the little “Did you know” snippet in the bottom left corner of the local section that shares factoids about Bakersfield, kinda like what this blog used to do before I got so damn lazy. (Sorry mom.) My other favorite thing (actually it’s probably my most favorite thing) is the big, new picture of Bob Price looking ruggedly handsome. Very Harrison Ford.

I liked Bob before, but I like him even more now.