Thursday, October 19, 2006

Scary Stuff

I was just about to leave for work this morning when I heard a familiar voice. I turned around and saw my old friend Rob Ruiz on TV. Unfortunately it was not good news. Apparently two gangsters had shot a bunch of people in a house nearby to Rob's. According to the news the pair approached a small group of men playing cards in an open garage around 1:00 A.M. They both held handguns and demanded keys to a car. After receiving the keys they began shooting. One man died and three others were injured. Luckily the cops found the guys nearby. Both of them are young men and known gang members. (The gang problem in this town has really gotten out of control. I’m sick of it.)

So I emailed Rob to see how he was doing, this is what he had to say:

Yeah, I wouldn't even have known about it and would have been in bed asleep but my cousin came over for awhile and we were listening to (ironically)Bob Marley talking about his lyrics of love and peace, then we walk out to this voilence. He thought it was someone hitting a garbage can, and i knew right away it was gunshot but had no idea it was right outside my house til I walked my cousin out. We stood there a long time and watched. I got interviewed a policewoman too. We saw the suspect. They caught him and brought him back to the scene. He said he was 18, and looked drunk, or at least most definitely on something when they pulled him out of the car for questioning. I stood and watched for quite a long time. At least a good hour. It WAS really scary. Two houses down from me.

I'm glad you're okay Rob!