Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Diarrhea of the Mouth

This story caught my eye today. It brought back many fine memories. I competed in the Oral Language Festival several times. I can still remember the entire poem I learned as part of the Verse Choir. It was an excerpt from Roald Dahl’s Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. The book was a squeal to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. (I always loved Roald Dahl. I read every single one of his books, usually several times.)

The piece we did was called “Goldie Pinklesweet” and it was all about a little girl who snuck into her grandmother’s medicine cabinet and ate the pills because they tasted like chocolate. Trouble is, all the pills Granny had were laxatives, because apparently she had trouble pooping. Goldie becomes very ill from the laxatives.

“Inside her stomach something stirred. A funny gurgling sound was heard. And then, oh dear, from deep within, the ghastly rumbling sounds begin. They rumbleate and roar and boom, they bounce and echo off the room. The floor boards shake, and from the wall some bits of paint and plaster fall. The man next door was heard to say, ‘A thunderstorm is on the way.’”

Needless to say, we won.