Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Car Seat Crisis

Two women were arrested yesterday after a baby died following a car accident. The baby was not in a car seat. Brenda Stockman was rushing her daughter Kayden to the hospital with an asthma attack. Kayden was in the back seat holding her daughter when the accident occurred. After a thee investigation the police decided to charge the pair with felony child endangerment and felony vehicular manslaughter. Seems like a pretty cold hearted thing to do to two women who just lost a child.

I don’t really know what to make of this. On the one hand, I have been rushed to the hospital with an asthma attack that nearly killed me. It was scary. And one time I drove one ½ block from the park to my house with Paul on my lap because my mother in law insisted on giving us a ride. A policeman stopped us and chewed my ass out. I was pissed. I see kids riding around in cars with out car seats all the time. Hell, most of us never rode in a car seat and we managed to survive to adulthood didn’t we?

Not that I don’t think car seats are important. I totally support the car seat law. It drives me crazy when I see people driving around with the kids not in a car seat. It’s been about 15 years since I had to worry about that kind of stuff, but do remember they’re not cheap. Do we have programs in place to help low income families get a car seat? I’ve never heard of one. It’s seems pretty harsh to arrest these women to me, but then again, I don’t really know what the facts are.

Then again, they should be happy they weren’t just shot on the spot.