Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Jury Duty or Dooky?



The Vincent Brothers trial is finally set to start this afternoon. Let’s see if it actually happens. I can’t believe how long it took for them to get this trial going. That poor family was killed in 2003! Even the Peterson trial didn’t take that long.

Bakersfield.com has a special section devoted to the Brothers trial, including ALL of their past articles, in case you missed anything. The most interesting thing to happen since they started jury selection was the discovery that one of the potential jurors was hiding the fact that had several past convictions of his own. He denied it at first, but then he had to fess up.

I can’t help but wonder why anyone would want to be on a jury that bad. The trial is expected to last at least three months, and if how things have gone up to now are any indication, it’ll probably be a lot longer than that. Does making five dollars a day to sit and listen to a bunch of lawyers drone on really sound that appealing? It doesn’t to me.

Don’t get me wrong, I actually enjoy jury duty, which is a good thing since I’ve been called like a jillion times. I don’t mind missing work for a few days to sit on a trial. I think it’s interesting. It can also be tedious, and frustrating, but I think the whole process is very admirable and I don’t mind being a part of it. Fortunately, I get paid either way, so the financial hardship thing isn’t an issue.

Nevertheless, I definitely don’t think I would like to be on a trial like this. I mean, a murder trial would be interesting, but also very draining I would imagine. And then there’s the whole death penalty issue which, from what I hear, is very difficult to decide on. I personally would not care to be the person saying, “Yeah, let’s fry this dude.”

What do y’all think? Would you be willing to serve on a lengthy murder trial? Why or why not?