Thursday, February 01, 2007

News Nips

I realized that I’ve haven’t been talking about what’s going on in the news lately. Nothing seems to be of much interest to me. It’s hard to get motivated when every thing is cold and grey. The sky is literally battleship grey. Yuck. I think I may have S.A.D. But I’m going to pick myself up by the bootstraps and carry on.

So, what has been going on?

Well, they’ve been trying to select a jury for the Vincent Brothers murder trail for a month now. The defense wanted a change of venue, but I guess they didn’t get it, so now they have to try and weed through potential jurors. Personally, I think the trial should have been moved. There has been so much in the news about it, I can’t imagine they’ll be able to find a dozen people who don’t know something about the case. Being accused of killing your whole family is kind of a big deal.

------------

Four men tried to car jack a man near the Valley Plaza recently, but the man drove off. (I’ve always wondered why people don’t do that more.) So, after failing in their car jacking attempt, the group jumped on a bus, which makes sense cuz obviously they didn’t have a car. The police were waiting for them at the next stop. Two of the men were in their twenties, and the other two were 17, which makes me think maybe they were part of some sort of mentor program. One of the men was charged with being in “possession of a firearm by a felon” which doesn’t make me want to ride the bus any time soon.

----------------

Planners approved slew of housing developments, because you know, we just can’t seem to get enough houses around here. Honestly, I can’t figure out who is moving into all the houses being built. Where are they all working? The article in the paper mentions several places where “188 single family lots,” “142 single family lots,” etc, etc are being built, and then as an afterthought, oh yeah – and one bank.

We’re going to need a helluva lot more than that.