Friday, February 09, 2007

Y'all Don't Come Back Now!

I got a phone call from a friend of mine who lives in LA yesterday. I couldn’t answer the phone because I was busy having half of my toenail removed. (I told you so.) When I listened to the message later she said “I heard Merle Haggard is playing at the Fox on Wednesday! We should get tickets and go!” Imagine her disappointment when I told her it was last Wednesday – not this Wednesday.

I wanted to go to the show too, but tickets quickly sold out, and I wasn’t interested in going to a concert that started at 10:00 pm on a school night. A girl needs her beauty rest. Evidently it was a good thing my friend and I missed the show. According to Robert Price’s column today the crowd was atrocious. Go figure.

Price described the distracters as Neanderthals, which for my money is a little belittling to the Neanderthals. Price says most of the crowd was there to enjoy the show, but a few people apparently came to enjoy themselves and ended up ruining the fun for everyone. There was hooting, hollering, and “one ear-bleeding whittle after another.” Haggard himself commented on display by saying, “Y’all haven’t changed since the Lucky Spot.” Ouch.

Some of us have changed Merle; it’s just that the ones who didn’t breed like rabbits.