Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Y'all got any corn pipes in thar?

I did two things this weekend I had never done before. Early Sunday morning a friend called looking for a ride. Begrudgingly I got out of bed and went to pick him up. He lives way out near Shafter out in the middle of the fields. When we pulled up he began to show my all the cars he was working on. He makes a living by restoring old cars. Then he asked me if I’d like to go for a ride. Of course I agreed. He directed to me to an old rusty Model T, helped me in, then climbed in, and started the car. The engine was loud and the car immediately began to shake, but she took off down the road, bumping and jerking all the way. It was so much fun. We drove all over the dirt roads surrounding the fields as fast as we could go. I left like I was in an ol’ time movie. After we returned home I thanked him for the ride and made him promise he’d take me for a ride again soon. I never thought I’d get the chance to ride in such an old car.

Later that same morning I went to the swap meet for the first time ever. Well, actually I did go to the Swap-O-Rama when I was little, but I haven’t been back since. I couldn’t believe how big it was. I have never seen so much crap in my life. There was some good stuff too, and I’m not saying I didn’t have fun poking through the carnage looking for a good deal. But seriously, there were more than a few vendors who looked like they had just swept out their garage, dumped everything in a box, and then spread it out on a blanket at the swap met.

I was looking for things I might decorate with; paintings, wall hangings, and what not. I found a few promising items but nothing I fell in the love with. I was more interested in the Mexican food. I had three yummy tacos and a Rosa’s ice cream bar, but I missed out on the thing I wanted most – fresh coconut with lime. My friends made some good finds, and I enjoyed people watching and just being outside on a beautiful sunny day. Then I got home and took off my tank top. I had a bright pink sunburned neck.

I went to the swap meet one time and now I guess I’m a red neck.