Saturday, April 14, 2007

Adventures in the ER

This is how I spent a good part of my morning today. In the ER at Mercy Hospital. I would like to say I was just there looking for Sonicrusk, but that's not the case. I woke up very early wheezing. What started out as mild asthma attack slowly got worse and worse. After about 3 hours of trying to deal with it myself, I finally called my mom and asked her to take me to the hospital. Not exactly the kind of thing moms like to wake up to.



I was really having trouble breathing and my heart was racing something fierce. As soon as I walked in the triage nurse took one look at me and told me she would get me right in. A couple of minutes later I was in the back hitting the oxygen tank. I have never been admitted into an ER after walking in so fast in my life. Within 15 I had the whole team hooking me up to stuff, asking me questions, and preparing me for treatment. An older woman nurse jammed in an IV all the way and it hurt like hell. She also got quite a lot of blood all over the place. Once my breathing got back closer to normal I kept asking them to take the damn thing out but they wouldn't. I understand why, but still... It really freakin' hurt!



My mom joined me in the ER room. I was breathing almost normally again within an hour, but I had to wait another two before I was discharged. I didn't think that was too bad. We spent a little over three hours there. That's pretty quick for a ER. My mom and I passed the time by taking pictures. We also had the joy of listening to the poor man in the next room puking his guts up. I was starting to gag a little myself. The poor thing was right there with his barf bucket for all to see. I felt bad for him but I also kept wishing they'd shut the door. I was afraid I was going to up chuck too.

This was my heart monitor.



I kept looking out for Sonicrusk, even though I have no idea what he looks like. (And he doesn't work in the ER. Duh!) My nurse was a young, Mexican male whose first name reminded me of that meatball soup - Albondigas. It made me hungry. He was real nice and didn't hurt me at all, but he wouldn't take that damn IV out either.

I'm resting at home now and feeling fine. Hopefully I will never have to do that again.