Thursday, July 19, 2007

Traveling Time Warp

There is an old couple in town I want to adopt. They drive around in a turquoise 1950 something Chevy sporting a sign in the back window that reads. “Not for Sale!” I just love that. It’s like they’re flipping a big ol’ bird finger at all the young snots begging to buy their car. The car is in perfect condition and I just know they are the original owners. They’re like a small, blue time warp cruising around town.

The old man is tall and thin and he always wears those giant, plastic post-operative sunglasses. The woman is tiny little thing whose head barely pears over the passenger side window. They remind me of characters from a Roald Dahl novel; like distant relatives to James’s Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker. I imagine that his name is Frank, or Herbert and her name is Stella, or Imogene.

When you see them be sure to wave and tell them Bake Town says hello!