Friday, September 21, 2007

Awwwwww! Splat!

Hanging around with Oscar again has brought back a lot of old memories. One of his favorites is the one where I ran over an Asian kid. I didn’t really run him over, but Oscar likes to tell it that way.

I had picked Oscar up on my way to school the way I did every single day, and I was on my way to pick up my best friend Flo, the way I did every single day. I was headed north on New Stine looking to turn right on Sea Star Lane when I noticed a kid on a moped. He wasn’t going very fast and I was (as usual) so I figured I had enough time to pass him and turn onto the street. I was wrong. As I tried to turn right his little moped suddenly speed up and he smacked right into my car. According to Oscar his face hit the passenger side window and then just slid down. Oscar began to laugh hysterically.

“You just hit that kid!” he sputtered.

“I did not!” I cried, tears erupting as I pulled the car over.

“YES YOU DID!” he laughed.

“Stop laughing” I screamed, hysterical now.

I looked back and saw the poor kid lying in the gutter, his little moped upside down, wheels still spinning. I was mortified. Oscar could not stop laughing.

I got out of the car and talked to the boy. I don’t remember his name and his English was fairly limited, but I gave him my insurance information etc, and he assured me he was alright. He looked a little banged up, but nothing serious. While Oscar rolled around, still laughing, the kid hoped on his moped and took off for school. I was still in tears when I picked Flo just a few minutes later.

By the time I was in second period Geometry, I had calmed down some what. I just had to stay away from Oscar who kept going “Awwww! Splat!” every time I looked at him. Then all of the sudden the door opened and two police officers walked inside. “Uh, yeah, we’re looking for Bake Town. Is Bake town here?” I nearly passed out. Yes, I of all people had to suffer the indignity of being hauled out of class by the police. Oh the shame!

Turns out that Asian kid’s arm was hurt pretty badly. It also turns that if you leave the scene of an injury accident you can find yourself in some pretty big trouble. Luckily I was a cute little girl and I was able to blubber my way out of any serious charges.

And that, my friends, is one of the stories Oscar most likes to tell from our time in high school.