Thursday, October 28, 2004

What the...??

Someone please tell me if this is normal or not cuz I really don’t know. (Amy, you probably know.) Is it normal for a newspaper to publish a “We Recommend” list of who people should vote for? Cuz that’s what the Californian did today and I’m sorta offended by it. They’ve got all the props with a yes or a no next to each and all the candidates listed that they think you should vote for. Sure, you don’t have to vote the way they want you to, but I still find it strange. Is this normal and I just never noticed it before? Isn’t that kinda, oh I don’t know…biased? Sure, it’s in the editorial section and I understand you can say whatever you want in an editorial, but still… And do they not care at all that they may be pissing off readers that disagree with their recommendations?

You think it’s a coincidence that they are encouraging readers to vote for Sue Benham?

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:11 PM

    It's called an "endorsement" and most newspapeers do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:11 PM

    It's called an "endorsement" and most newspapers do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous is right.
    Anonymous is right.
    ... I do believe the Bakersfield Californian has been doing endorsements for ages. It follows the same thinking that it's just like any other opinion they print on their opinion pages. There's a comprehensive story in Editor & Publisher on which papers have done endorsements so far. Also, another good site for you California folks is Rough & Tumble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. pffftt - I don't need no stinking paper to tell me how to vote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:30 AM

    Me thinks someone is mocking me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only in a friendly way, Anon. (If that is your real name.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:16 PM

    And, I'm not saying I don't deserve it. Believe me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:18 PM

    In a double negative kind of way.

    ReplyDelete