Sunday, January 30, 2005

Top 10 - Past & Present

Look what I found...Another list! You see, in the past, if you did not post a comment with a registered “name” I did not receive an email notice. This means, if I am not diligent enough and do not keep accurate enough records, the chances are good your comment will go unnoticed. Unless, of course, you post the same comment over and over again – then it’s kinda hard to ignore. I’m calling this “Ms. Shy Anon’s List.” Cuz if it is a guy, he should at least have the balls to cough up some initials. That’s what I think. It could’ve been worse. I could’ve called her Miss or Mrs. (shudder)

Although I make fun, Ms. Anon does present an interesting idea. Perhaps project #2. Project #1 – Favorite places that actually still exist. (We’ll have to make allowances for Waist High, but its okay. You’ll get used to it.) Project #2 – Favorite places that no longer exist. Or at least not in the way they did “back in the day.” Oooo – this is going to be SO FUN! At maybe I can actually get Amy in on this one.

Here are “Ms. Shy Anon’s Lists” In no particular order...

Past-

1. The Padre (B.T. Note – Hopefully someday we can put this back on the present list.)

2. Mannequins (B.T. Note - I saw Toad there - what a cool show.)

3. Prospero's (B.T. Note - ohmagawd (insert sound of Homer Simpson drooling) The BEST sandwiches in the whole wide world.)

4. Chaos Coffee (B.T. Note – yeah…had fun there.)

5. The Alley Cat (c. early 90's) (B.T. Note – back before it turned into a HELL HOLE!)

6. Shakey's (not Sharkey's) (B.T. Note – hey… I liked Sharkey’s, but yeah, the pizza is good.)

7. The Blackboard (c. 1950's) (B.T. Note – huh??)

8. Vidal's (B.T. Note – oh-no-you-DID-nt just say that to me!)

9. Goose Loonies (hot wings and microbrew) (B.T. Note – Lamb Gyros and very slow service.)

10. Happy Steak (I needed a 10th) (B.T. Note – What the?? Never heard of it. Do you mean Happy Jack’s?)

Present -

1. Urrichio's (B.T. Note – yup. Can’t argue with that. Plus, it's downtown.)

2. Brinks Deli (B.T. Note – Yeah, good. I just never go there. I don’t know why.)

3. Joseph's (B.T. Note – I love and wish I had room to put it on my Downtown Top Ten. Perhaps I need to revise.)

4. Cafe' Med (B.T. Note – Overpriced, inconsistent, but can be fun for a change.)

5. The Fox (B.T. Note – Friday night Flics are Fun.)

6. Dagney's (B.T. Note – Best locally owned coffee place in town.)

7. Maxwell's (B.T. Note – I have never eaten there! I don’t know why.)

8. The Silver Fox (B.T. Note – This where Terry, the bartender from the Padre moved to. The crowd moved with him.)

9. Gumbeaux (B.T. Note – As a restaurant – hell no. Over priced, REALLY inconsistent and the service is bad. But as a place to go and drink and watch live music after 9 – it’s cool.)

10. 24th Street Café (B.T. Note – This place is almost too well liked, if that is possible.)