Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Raborank

The news is full of talk about the renaming of Centennial Garden. The Dutch owned Rabobank is offering to pay 2.5 million for the naming rights of the arena. According to The Californian, the official name would be “Rabobank Arena, Theater and Convention Center.” Lord knows they can use the money. Centennial Garden has been losing money since before it opened. I’m sure Bakersfield is anxious to jump on the corporate sell-out bandwagon. Personally, I don’t like it.

Pac-Bell Park, Staples Center, Petco Park – the list goes on and on. It’s awful. I like names that sound like a name, not an advertisement. Names like, The Coliseum and Wrigley Field. Names with character. Names that mean something other than ‘we really needed the money.’

I know better than to try and fight this one. It’s too late. The country is too far-gone. But mark my words - If anyone EVER tries to rename Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium…there will be blood shed.

p.s. I just realized that "Raborank" sounds like something Scooby-Doo would say.