Wednesday, May 24, 2006

"Cool Parents"

Things just got a little tougher for teens hoping to get their drink on in Kern County.  The “Cool Parents” ordinance was passed yesterday making it possible to punish adults who allow kids to party at their house.  According to the paper, the ordinance “imposes a $1,000 fine as well as other civil penalties.”  

I see a few problems with this.  One – it doesn’t do anything to stop the kids from partying else where.  I mean, where there’s a will there’s way, and back in my day we were very willing.  How else can you explain huddling a dark, cold, remote dirt field to “party?”  Two – what about parents who want to keep their kids safe by providing a place where they can supervise them and make sure no body drives?  

I’m not saying parents SHOULD do that, but it does seem like they should have the right to.  Personally, I don’t think allowing your kids to party at your house is a good idea.  I don’t think the behavior should be condoned.  But I do think that parents have a right to raise their kids as they see fit.  For some, providing a safe environment is the way to go.

And three – I consider myself a “cool parent” so I’m a little put off by the name.