Thursday, May 11, 2006

Miracles do happen

I’m in one of those hazy, sleep deprived, but happy nonetheless moods this morning. Usually they follow an exceptionally fun night of partying.  This time it was because of something completely different.   I had something happen to me last night that doesn’t happen to people very often.  I had an ex-boyfriend call me and apologize.

I had one of those low blow breakups back in June 2004 that really hit me hard.  I had known Ray for several years and we had always been great friends.  Somewhere around October 2003 things began to slowly change and turn into a more serious relationship.  By the beginning of spring we were nearly inseparable.  I even introduced him to my son, which is something I had never done before.  You know that He’s Just Not that into You book?  He was the opposite of that.

Anyway, somewhere around the end of April Ray began to act sort of strange.  It was not too noticeable at first but there were signs.  I began to tread a little lighter.  Finally, when I felt it could no longer be avoided, I asked him while we were chatting online what was bugging him.  He hemmed and hawed a bit, then said something about feeling boxed in.  I was a surprised, and hurt, but apologized and said I had no problem giving him more space.  Then he said something about ‘Not wanting to do this in a chat’ and I was all, ‘Not wanting to do what?’  He didn’t reply.  I never heard from him again at all.  For over two years.  Apparently he needed a WHOLE lot of space.

Then, last night out of the blue, he called me and apologized.  Yeah.  My jaw is still on the floor.  He explained why he did what he did, and admitted that went beyond crappy, blah, blah, blah.  I don’t think it is possible for me to have been more shocked.  I’m still shocked.  Like, in need of medical attention shocked. (I don’t think VJs pet rat Cleo could’ve seen this one coming.)  I won’t go into everything he said, but I can tell you it was all very, very good to hear.    We talked till nearly 2:00 in the morning.

And I realized this morning as I walked around in my sleepy, happy haze.  It’s never too late to make an apology.