Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Stay away from the Staph

It looks like we have a strange new bug in town.  Or, I guess I should say we have STRONG new bug in town.   According to the Department of Family Medicine the recent outbreak of an antibiotic-resistant staph infection, “has reached virtually epidemic proportions.”   I don’t know about you, but this news scares the beajesus outta me.  Anytime I see the words “flesh eating bacteria” I start to worry.

Earlier this month 15 year old Corey Wilson died from a mean staph infection.  The family has no idea how he contracted it.  It is suspected that part of the problem comes from the overuse of antibiotics.  That makes me feel better about my decision years ago to stop taking antibiotics.  It seemed like every time I turned around I was taking antibiotics for some thing.  I finally decided to just quit taking them, and started using holistic medicines instead.  Sure, sometimes I still have to take them, but not nearly as often as I used to.

The paper says it staph infections are commonly contracted at the gym and it lists how several local gyms go about keeping their equipment clean.  Thanks a lot for giving me yet another good reason not to work out.