Monday, October 13, 2008

My Biggest Pet Peeve

I can’t take it anymore. I don’t understand why we can’t just give up the “Titles” and just use Mr. and Ms. Nobody ever uses it right and I really don’t see why women should continue to be labeled as available or not. It’s archaic. I recently confused several people at my work when I got married and didn’t change my last name. People began referring to me as “Mrs. Town” and when corrected them they just looked confused. They thought when women get married they automatically change their last names and take on the husband’s name. Uh, no. This isn’t the 1880’s.

A man (who shall remain nameless) recently came around to all the women in my office to clarify how they would like to be addressed. “You know what it means don’t you,” he asked. “Miss means you’ve never been married, Mrs. means you are married, and Ms. means you’re divorced or widowed.”

“No it doesn’t!” I shouted from my office.

Seriously, if people aren’t going to used them correctly, what’s it the point in using them at all? And if women have to be labeled as available or not, why shouldn’t men too?

I just don’t understand why we still accept these labels.