Monday, October 25, 2004

Not so news-worthy



Every now I then I wonder what the people at the Californian are thinking when they publish some articles. Are we really that desperate for news? You mean to tell me no body got shot last night? There’s an article in the paper today with the headline “Cul-de-sac spawns rash of babies.” Sounds like some cheap, scary B movie title. The piece is about a white flight neighborhood in the northwest where 5 out of 9 houses either have babies or pregnant women. So what? It’s not really that shocking if you think about it. New housing development, a bunch of 20 something year old first time home owners – of course they’re breeding like rabbits.

And while I’m at it, what’s up with all the Kern County Fair results? The Fair has been over for weeks, yet every time I open the paper there are lists and the names of people who canned the best peas or something. It’s annoying.