Wednesday, December 22, 2004

I know, I know...

I’ve been neglecting my internet friends, and I apologize. Truth is I’ve just been lazy. I’m on vacation so I’ve been sleeping in, watching TV and hanging out with friends in town for the holiday. I’ve also been teaching my son how to cook. He made meatloaf and mashed potatoes last week and yesterday he made oatmeal cookies. Today we’re going to take on Christmas cookies, fudge and Rice Crispy Treats. Next week I think we’ll try something a little fancier so he can impress the ladies when he gets older (not that he doesn’t all ready.)

I do have some funny stories to share, but I’m waiting until after the holiday to see which make the cut. For example, if I had been blogging last year I would have had to choose between trying to move a week before Christmas and having my dresser fly out of the truck and shatter into a million pieces on Truxtun Ave. OR how I had gone downtown with a group of friends and decided it would be a good idea to run home thereby causing myself to fall on my face in the street. I still bare the scars from that incident.

Anyway, before I go I need to catch y’all up on the news.

That Juan Oliveras guy who used to be Mayor of Arvin – remember him? He was arrested on charges of child molestation one day before the election. The charges have been dropped and it looks like Oliveras was right all along. The DA and other local law enforcement didn’t like the guy so they trumped up some charges the day before the election so he would lose. Shady, very shady.

The cops who were involved in the two separate shooting incidents recently have both been cleared. In both cases the cops were shooting at people inside a car. In the first case a 25 year old was killed. Despite the fact that The U.S. Department of Justice recently warned the police against shooting at moving vehicles, pointing out that “such shootings could cause bullet ricochets into officers or innocent bystanders” both shootings were ruled within department policy by an internal review board.

On the front page of the paper today there is an article that I know is going to get people riled up around here. There’s a picture of an emaciated dog and the headline reads “Dogs abandoned to cannibalism in desert hellhole.” I have to admit this story is pretty shocking. Apparently a couple moved into a trailer in Mojave and brought 7 or 8 dogs with them. The dogs ruled and eventually took over the house. The couple moved into the garage. The dogs ran wild, terrorizing the neighborhood and tearing one poor man’s little beagle in two! The couple finally fenced the dogs in but then abandoned them after being evicted from the trailer. OH. MY. GOD. Is it possible to be anymore white trash? The dogs are now penned in and have turned to killing and eating each other to survive. The article says the floor of the trailer is covered in poop, in some places its one foot thick. I am gagging right now just thinking about it. And if the story is not shocking enough for ya, here’s the kicker. Animal control is waiting for the owners to return and they will let them take the dogs. They have until 1:45 today.

I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for that to happen.