Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Nothing News

Lisa Loeb is playing the KLLY Lounge tonight. This translates into that chick who sang that “Stay” song is playing a free show at Borders book store in Bakersfield. Sad, but true. Other famous people currently in town…Rob Reiner (or at least he was yesterday.) He was meeting with Senator Dean Florez to discuss “First 5” reforms.

Other not so interesting news… Bako’s one and only nonprofit theater The Empty Space may be closing its doors for good if it can’t raise enough money to pay rent. I love going to see plays and I’m always preaching to people to support local business, but I have to admit I’ve never been to see a play at The Empty Space. Now I feel guilty. . The Empty Space is currently running a Christmas comedy called “Hurry Up Santa” and now I know what I’m going to do this weekend.

Speaking of theater, my son & I went to see the BHS production of “The Wizard of Oz” last week. It was really good. The freshman girl playing Dorothy looked and sounded exactly like the real thing. It was spooky. The Wicked Witch sucked (her high pitched scream made my ears bleed) and the Cowardly Lion was a bit too gay, but the special effects were really, really good.

Especially the tornado.