Thursday, April 21, 2005

Hit & No Miss

There are four separate incidents reported in the paper today where someone was hit by a car. The strangest one happened Tuesday when a man who apparently has seen Dodge Ball too many times crashed his car on Hwy 99 then got out and began to try to run across the road. He was hit by a car and died instantly. How crazy would that be to be driving home after a day in LA and all of the sudden some dude ran out in front of your car?

I have seen a couple of people hit by cars in the past. It is not a pretty sight. The worst one was in Mexico. I didn’t see what happened, but we drove up just a taxi driver was getting out of his car, the wind shield was all smashed in and then we saw the guy in front of the car. Ew! His body was twisted in ways bodies are not meant to be twisted. Dude totally looked dead. Awful.

The first time I saw someone get hit by a car I was 17 years old. I was pumping gas at the Mobil station on the corner of Stine & Wilson, right by K-Mart. The convenience store had two entrances one facing west and the other facing south. I was on the west side so I was oblivious to all the action going on around the corner. Some pervy guy was standing near the door proudly displaying his pee pee for all to see. After about 10 or 15 minutes of checking out his package the clerks inside finally called the cops.

When the perv saw the cops, he pulled up his pants and took off running. Innocently filling my tank nearby, I became aware of the situation when suddenly I heard a man yell. “STOP! Police!” I looked up just in time to see the man run right in front of car. The person driving the car didn’t even have a split second to hit the brakes and he must have been doing at least 30 mph. When the car hit the man he flew up into the air a good 20 feet, came back down, bounced off the back of the car and went splat onto the pavement. I promise you, I was more than a little freaked out. That is the last thing you expect to see when your pumping gas near K-Mart. I went inside to collect my change and inquire about what the hell was going on. That’s when I learned about the schlong show.

I never did find out what happened with that man.