Thursday, June 23, 2005

I'm in trouble now.

Bakersfield is about to clean up its act. According to an article in the paper today, “quality of life” crimes, like stumbling around drunk in public, peeing in public, and being loud and obnoxious are going to be prosecuted by the city. (There goes all my fun.) Councilwoman Sue Benham came up with idea (thanks a lot Sue) of hiring a few lawyers to serve as “special” deputy district attorneys to focus on the cases the regular DA’s office doesn’t have time to handle. (They’re too busy hiding evidence.)

I’m not in support of public drunkenness or anything, but really, isn’t it better to have them walking than driving? If they’re going to start prosecuting people for stumbling from bar to bar downtown, they’re either going to have a lot more people drinking and driving or they’re just going to kill business.

That’s not to say I don’t support the idea to some extent. I can’t wait to call the cops next time my ghetto neighbor starts blasting his music.