Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Hoping for a Christmas Miracle

The big day is almost here. In a couple of days my son will have somebody else’s cornea stitched onto his eyeball. Crazy, huh? Thank God for the all the people in the world with sense enough to be an organ donor. (Not that a cornea is an organ, but you know what I mean.) We leave tomorrow for UCLA and an appointment with the anesthesiologist, and then the surgery will happen Friday morning. If all goes well, Paul should have all the vision back in his eye within a few months. (Keep your fingers crossed.)

Paul’s handling things just fine. (Like he always does.) Luckily he’s had finals and lots of pretty girls at school to keep him distracted. I’m probably more nervous than he is cuz I’m going to be the one awake through the whole thing. He’ll be knocked out while I sit in the waiting room trying to crochet. (Of course his dad will be there too.) The whole thing just seems really freaky to me because I’ve never had to sit in a waiting room while a doctor cuts up my loved one. How the hell am I supposed to do that?

I’m sure everything is going to be fine, but it doesn’t hurt to have some extra good thoughts sent our way.