Monday, May 22, 2006

Play Time in Malibu

I went to Malibu again this weekend, this time to see my nephew in a play.  He goes to Malibu High School, home of the Sharks.  You’d think that Malibu High School would be all fancy but it’s not.  It’s just your typical high school.  In fact, the theater was small and not EVEN as nice as the theater at West High, and of course no where nearly as nice as the Harvey Auditorium at BHS.  The play, however, was fantastic.

The play was Aida, and I had never seen it before.  It is set in Egypt, which made for some entertaining costumes.  Especially for the guys - most of them wore skimpy loin clothes.  The girls had beautiful gowns in vibrant colors and elaborate head dresses.  You could totally tell costumes were professionally made.  The actors were quite professional as well.  Many of the lead roles were filled by seniors planning to attend acting school in the fall.  The singing was absolutely amazing.  I kept thinking these kids could blow American Idol out of the water.  

And, of course, my nephew was the best Soldier #1 I had ever seen.