Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I’m posting like a man woman now!

Some friends and I recently had dinner at the newly refurbished Azul downtown. Once the home to long time watering hole Suds Tavern (the first bar ever I went to) the space has made many changes over the years. The last business to last for any length of time was Paco’s Tacos. I was sorry to see them go. Azul replaced Paco’s for awhile, then closed down to update the place. Update they did. Azul is now a trendy LAesque sushi restaurant.

I’m not an expert on sushi by any means, but I know what I like. We ordered the Tiger roll, salmon sashimi, and shrimp tempura. I thought every thing tasted great. I especially enjoyed the tiger roll. My friend also ordered a salad that was very good. The service wasn’t great, but that was obviously because our server was young and didn’t really know what she was doing. We all got the feeling they were more interested in having a hot blonde waitress as opposed to someone with less appeal and more experience.

The décor has changed dramatically. Everything is painted black, dark blue, and silver giving the old fire station a very modern feel. A large, black bench stretches across one wall, dotted periodically with painfully tiny tables and ottoman style chairs. (This is not the place to eat if you need back support.) Then of course there is the sushi bar with the obligatory stools allowing patrons to ogle the chef as he works.

The back area has been converted to a lounge area with large comfortable couches, but no tables. I’m not sure what they’re planning on doing with this part. There was a small stage area suggesting shows sometime in the future.

I sure hope so because the German discotheque music they had playing over the speakers was driving me nuts.