Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Mr Brothers Goes to Death Row

The jury returned with the death sentence for Vincent Brothers, so off to death row he goes. It’s not too surprising, I mean, the dude did kill his whole family. But it’s a little frustrating because we all know he will most likely die of old age before they ever execute him. So what’s the point? It costs more to house an inmate on death row. Why not just give him 5 consecutive life sentences and let him rot?

Personally, I don’t believe in the death penalty no matter what. It doesn’t make sense to me say it’s against the law to kill someone, and then turn around and kill someone. I understand the desire some people feel for revenge. I’m sure I’d want to choke the life out of anyone who hurt my son. And I can sort of see giving the death penalty to really heinous serial killers. But considering how expensive it is to execute someone and house them on death row, it makes more sense to me to just lock them up and throw away the key. Sounds a lot more like a punishment than a quick and painless death. (Although I hear the jury is still out on how painless the lethal injection really is.)

Of course if people around here had their way they’d just drag the ol boy out in the street and hang ‘em. Or at least that’s how some people over on the Bakersfield.com blogs were talking.

It’s frightening really how bloodthirsty some people can be.