Thursday, June 21, 2007

Notchs? No Thank You.

There’s a letter in the paper today from a woman who has an idea on how to help with the overpopulation of unwanted dogs and cats. Her idea is to “notch” the ears of animals that are fixed. That way animal control officers will know, ‘Hey, this dog ain’t no breeder’ so they don’t need to take it to the shelter to feed it. Wow. Brilliant plan, huh?

First of all, umm….if it’s a boy dog you don’t really need to notch the ear, right? I mean, all you have to do is check out his package. No nuts – no problem! Females are a little trickier I guess. But honestly, the idea of removing my hunk of my pet’s ear doesn’t sound so good to me. Maybe I could just pierce them instead. That way she can accessorize.

I’m sure the woman who wrote the letter is a kind soul who really wants to help, but come on, is cutting up their ears really the answer? Then again, maybe the mangled mutts wouldn’t get as much action with a hunk missing from their ear.

Maybe this plan will work after all.