Friday, August 24, 2007

HerSpray

I just had the strangest experience. My mom asked me to go to the movies with her and a friend today, so I agreed. I wasn't really all that interested in seeing Hairspray, but I like doing things with my mom. I noticed as we took our seats that of the 15 or so people in the theater I was the youngest one. In fact, I was probably the only one who didn't get a senior citizen discount. For some reason my mom chose seats right in the middle of a bunch of other old people. I guess they like to stick together. Anyway, I felt like I was sneaking into a geriatric convention.

After the movie started I noticed right away something a little different. Old people like to talk about the movie while its on. And of course they can't hear each other, so they talk really loud. If it had been a movie I really wanted to see I wouldn't have thought it was so funny. As it was, the old coot's comments made me laugh more than the movie.

The best part was when Tracy Turnblad's father makes a bed out of woopie cushions. As he tires to get up in the morning there are serious of silly farting noises. The swarm of seniors sitting around me started to giggle. Then they started giggling more. That made me start to giggle. Before I knew it we were all cracking up, no longer even listening to the movie. I laughed so hard I cried. When the movie was over the woman in front of me turned around and said, "I haven't laughed that hard in years."

From now on I only want to go to the movies with old people.