Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Smoke Near The River

I woke up this morning feeling like a million bucks! Of course, in today’s economy that’s not really saying much, but after spending two days on my couch sipping 7-Up and nibbling on Jello, it seems like a big deal to me. Of course, I may be the only person in town feeling great today after two weeks of breathing filthy air. No, I’m not talking about Bakersfield’s bad air. I’m talking about Santa Barbara’s.

The Zaca fire has been burning since July 4th (hmm…I wonder how it started?) and I for one think the rich folks over there are paying a bunch of illegals to blow the smoke this way. What? It could happen. The sky around Bakersfield has been nastier than ever, and that’s saying something. On the upside, it does make for some interesting sunsets.

According to the paper today, some people in Rosedale are starting to get sick, which gives me yet another reason to be glad I don’t live in Rosedale. Actually, now that I think about it, all the fires around here lately have seemed to blow this way, which means Bakersfield doesn’t really have bad air after all. We have everybody else’s bad air. It’s like we’re the center of a vortex, sucking up all the crap in the air from the Bay Area to San Diego.

Stupid Colonel Baker. Why did he have to build our city here?