Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Gas Guzzling Galore

People in Bakersfield confuse me. Either they don’t pay attention to the news or they simply just don’t care. Everyday I see giant trucks and SUVs hauling ass down the street. – often from one red light to the next. I saw a dude in a huge black truck going about 100 mph down California Ave the other day, straight towards a red light. I didn’t think he was going to be able to stop on time, but he did. When the light turned green again he literally peeled out and sped off towards the next red light. The stupidity is mind boggling.

I have a Honda Civic. It gets great gas mileage and it’s a peppy little car. From what I understand, it’s a favorite of street racers. So it really baffles me when I’m sitting next to a giant truck or Hummer at a red light and they actually get the jump on me when the light turns green. We all end up in the same place, but I spend three times less getting there. They must just love spending all their money on gasoline.

I guess Bakersfield still is an oil town after all.