Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Back to Basics

The sad story about the man and his children being hit by a car reminded me of something I’ve been meaning to blog about. This has nothing to do with those people - they were on the sidewalk. I don’t know if its just me, but I see an awful lot of people crossing the street illegally ALL THE TIME. And by all the time, I mean every single day. A couple of weeks ago I nearly ran a kid over when he started to run across the street without looking first. I was turning left on to Chester when the dumb ass ran right out in front of me. I had to slam on my brakes to keep from killing him. Obviously he didn’t know about my history.

Yesterday I watched in disbelief as a grown man walked across California Ave – three lanes of traffic! He didn’t even try and hurry. What the hell? One of the cars he was prancing in front of was a Hummer. Maybe he wanted to see what if feels like to be a bug on a grill.

Honestly, I am blown away by how many people I see walking in the streets and crossing them wherever they feel like. What kind of a messed up society are we living in that people are not being taught to use cross walks and look both ways before crossing the street? Oh, that’s right - he same society where we have to have billboards encouraging men to be a father to their children and instructing women not to do drugs when they’re pregnant.

It’s a sick, sad world.