Sunday, January 09, 2005

The Jazz Joint

I went out Friday night. For the first time in ages my friend and I hit the town. We began our evening at Mexicali. We toasted our Cadillac Margaritas over our enchiladas suizas to my friend Waist High (who I know is green with envy right now.) Next we headed to the Silver Fox for some karaoke. After 1 ½ Cadaillac Margaritas my friend had convinced me to perform my very popular rendition of “You're so Vain.” The applause was deafening and so we were forced to leave promptly. Next we head down to the new "P.J.'s Nite Club."

There was an article the paper recently about the man who opened P.J.’s He is originally from Los Angeles and purchased a home here in 2003 with plans to retire. (Yes, people. There are those who retire here.) Seeing an opportunity in our cultural devoid city, he decided to open the jazz & blues club in the location of the former Cellar, or “The Underground.” You know the place. There have been numerous bars in that location since it opened in the 1940s. P.J. also plans to open a Chicken and Waffle house down the street. I eagerly look forward to trying it out.

The club was full, my friend and I found the last available seats at the bar. There were numerous tables and chairs, and a waitress delivering drinks, which in itself is a refreshing change. Luther Davis and his band were playing and the crowd loved every minute of it. A couple of people got up to dance, but there really isn’t much space for that. Most of us just rocked in our seats grinning to the music. I even saw some old high school alumni I hadn’t seen in ages. A 60 year old white man bought me a beer and tried to make chit-chat but I was too into the music. Besides, he’s 60! Hello!

We had a great time and I know I’ll be going back there again soon.

Oh – and just to really rub it in WH’s face – I went back to Mexicali the next day for lunch.
mmm, mmm good!

3 comments:

  1. Waist High here.
    May it rain in your town all weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:17 AM

    So what type of crowd was it? Lots of older people or just that one? Dressy or casual?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely older, although I’m sure there were some youngsters in the crowd. As far as dress goes – you know how it is – anything goes. Some were dressed up, some were not. It’s not like they have a dress code like Mexicali.

    ReplyDelete