Monday, May 15, 2006

Bring me your Batteries

After reading in the paper recently that we can no longer throw batteries in the trash, I asked the secretary at my work what she was doing with the batteries being used around here. “Throwing them away” she said, looking at me like was an idiot.

Most people either didn’t bother to read or didn’t bother to retain the information which was shared with us some time ago. Batteries, of any size, do not belong in the trash. The must be disposed of at one of the designated disposal areas. The trouble with this is no body wants to get in their car and drive to the Kern County Special Waste Facility on Standard St. Most people are not as crazy as I am. I just keep a paper bag next to the trash and pop by there when the bag starts to get full. I also invested in rechargeable batteries.

Anyway, knowing that most people are going to ignore the fact that they are not supposed to be creating hazardous waste, just like they ignore the fact that 80% of the stuff they are throwing again could be recycled, I decided to become a Special Waste Facility myself. I told everyone at work that all they to do is bring their old batteries to work and I will take them to be recycled when I have enough to make the trip worth while. It seems to be working. I have a small bag, but it’s filling up fast.

So, I thought I would share the idea with ya’ll. It’s a good way for all of us to follow the law with out all of us having to actually go to the drop off site.