Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Who cares?

As usual, when the results of any type of test or survey show that Californians are failing in one way or another, the results also show that Kern County residents, in particular, REALLY suck. According to the latest test scores, “three out of four students in Kern County and across the state are in poor physical condition.” Holy crap.

I remember taking those tests in high school. Like most kids, I hated them. But I also remember feeling some sense of desire to not totally bomb out I may not have tired as hard as I could have, but I did try. It seems like more and more the kids these days just don’t really give a rat’s ass if they pass or fail. If it doesn’t have a direct effect of their lives or immediate future, they just don’t give a damn. And it’s not just the physical fitness tests. I know teachers who have told me those standardized tests given to kids every year are a total joke. By the time they get to high school, kids have figured out that the scores have no effect on them, so a lot of them don’t even try.

Makes it kind of hard to accurately measure how much our children are learning