Thursday, March 13, 2008

How Not to Cross the Street

Another little girl was killed recently in Wasco after running into the street after her mother. The twelve year old girl’s mother told her to run across the road to catch up after she had already crossed the street with her other children. Last year another little girl was killed in Wasco doing the exact same thing. Now, I’m not blaming the mothers for their child’s death, and I sympathize with their grief, but I sincerely hope the community learns a lesson from these two needless deaths. Rule #1 – Don’t tell your child to run across the street.

Sometimes I wonder if the old rules of common sense, like looking both ways before you cross the street, or only crossing in the cross walks, have been completely forgotten. Either kids these days don’t know better or they just don’t care, but I swear I see someone walk in the street nearly everyday. And it’s not just the kids. Grown adults walk around in the street, often with an air of defiance – like, ‘Yeah, I’m in the street – what are you gonna do about it?’ Hey man – I’ve run over a person before – don’t tempt me.

Seriously though, I can’t believe there are adults running around who have to be told – Hey! Don’t tell your kid to run into the street. Or how about - Don’t cross the street with your children unless you know you’ve got them all with you.

And please, for the love of God, please teach them to pay attention.